Welcome to CatholicPreacher! I use this page as a type of archive of my thoughts for my Sunday homily.

Sunday, December 13, 2015

Third Sunday in Advent

"Thy Kingdom Come", but we're not done!

Fire and water: two compelling, dynamic images linked to communion with God and the salvation of Christ.  In today's gospel, John the Baptist famously denies he is Messiah, but rather preaches repentance and conversion to high ethical standards as preparation for Messiah.  The two pericopes in Luke fit well into the theme of Advent, as we focus on preparing for God to touch humanity in a new way.

John exhortation to ethical integrity is in response to a disciple asking, "Teacher, what should we do?"  It seems the fitting question to John's earlier (outside today's reading) proclamation that "Even now the ax is lying at the root of the trees; every tree, therefore, that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire."  When faced with such destructive wrath, the disciples needed to know what to do, because they needed to get started.

What is interesting is John's focus on doing before becoming; he is the quintessential existentialist---existence before essence.  You want justice? Become just.  You want peace? Become peaceful.  You want salvation from the wrath of God? Welcome God into your midst.

The great line from Matthew 25:41-45 resonates with these leading questions:

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’
44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’


No comments:

Post a Comment